The Greens are moving to “plan B” as fears increase that the NSW Government may decline to sell Randwick City Council the old Kingsford Market site on Rainbow Street Kingsford for a parking facility “on fair and reasonable terms”.
South Juniors and the Kingsford Chamber of Commerce will be invited to join the Council in a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to plan and push for a parking facility on the site.
The Greens support the CBD to South East Light Rail project but are also keen to see the the Council gain access to the market site to replace parking losses in the Kingsford area lost to the CSELR light rail project.
But they would oppose the Government auctioning the site rather than directly providing it to the Council for the same price it was recently purchased.
Greens Councillor Murray Matson said this week,
“The Market site land issue is particularly painful given that the Government may force Randwick Council to bid at auction. This unsympathetic disregard for the local area’s parking needs is not reasonable nor helpful given the Council’s $68 million Light Rail Support Plan which proposes a parking facility on the site.”
Councillor Matson is putting a motion to the next Council meeting proposing the MOU along with a media and advertising campaign under the slogan “Fair Go For Kingsford, Fair Go For Randwick”
Text of Greens Randwick City Council Motion to secure the Kingsford Market site as to offset parking losses from the CBD to South East Light Rail
“That South Juniors (i.e. The Juniors) and the Kingsford Chamber of Commerce be invited to sign a MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with the Council for the mutual objectives of:
- Working with the State Government to acknowledge the benefits of the CBD to South East Light Rail project and to facilitate its progression in Kingsford;
- Better publicizing the responsible and reasonable light rail mitigation initiatives that the three co-signers are pursuing in Kingsford via the Council’s Light Rail Support Plan Committee;
- Acquiring the Government owned land at the old Kingsford Market site on fair and reasonable terms for the benefit of the businesses and residents of Kingsford;
- To plan and promote the building of a parking facility on the Kingsford Market site to mitigate parking losses from the CBD to South East light Rail project; and
- To run a media and advertising campaign under the slogan “Fair Go For Kingsford, Fair Go For Randwick” to support the attainment of these objectives.”