Next Tuesday night Greens Councillor Lindsay Shurey will move the following Council motion intended to save the park by seeking Government support for the purchasing of an an alternative site for the planned light rail interchange at High Cross Park in Randwick.
TEXT OF MOTION:
That Council establishes the High Cross Park Working Group comprising the Mayor, the General Manager and ward Councillors to pursue the objectives of;
- Working with the State Government to acknowledge the benefits of the CBD to South East Light Rail project and to better publicise the responsible and reasonable light rail mitigation initiatives Council is already pursuing under the Light Rail Support Plan;
- Presenting the State Government with alternative sites to that of High Cross Park for the bus/light rail interchange by producing a package of options known as the “Feasible Interchange Alternatives” that shall include but not be limited to:
- Joint venture partnerships to acquire and develop property on the north side of High Street between Avoca and Clara Streets and on the east side of Belmore Road opposite High Cross Park between Avoca Street and Coogee Bay Road; and
- Facilities based wholly within the High Street or Coogee Bay Road alignments.
- Using a Council approved budget to commission independent technical experts to research, develop and assess the Feasible Interchange Alternatives package; and
- To coordinate with a Council media and advertising campaign to be run under the slogan “Fair Go For Kingsford, Fair Go For Randwick” to support the attainment of these objectives.